Sunday, July 5, 2015

The Fourth without Fireworks

Some of you may think this title just refers to the fact that I am in Guam and maybe they do not do fireworks on July 4th. Well, that is true......although the Navy base usually has fireworks for the 4th of July (or so I am told). No, the fireworks were canceled this year due to a Typhoon.

In fact the three day weekend for the crew on the boat was canceled due to the impending storm. It turns out that whenever a big storm comes our way, all the boats leave the harbor and head out to sea away from the storm. It's much safer for them and of course the government doesn't want their million dollar sub banging against the pier during a typhoon!

So the boat went out last Thursday and all the wives and children (including fur babies) were left behind to fend for themselves. This particular storm was finicky. It was a typhoon on Friday and heading towards us. Then it was downgraded to a tropical storm. Then it moved away from us a bit so that we didn't even bear the brunt of the tropical storm. Of course we still got lots of rain and wind!! Now we have another storm that is right behind that one but it does not appear to be heading straight for Guam....as of now anyway.

So the dogs and I waited out the storm by watching movies and doing little chores around the house. It was lots of fun taking them outside to go to the bathroom when it was pouring and winds were about 40-50 mph. They didn't seem to mind....took their sweet time going to the bathroom while I got drenched. Of course each time I took them out, I had to dry them off when we came back inside because it's much cooler inside than outside! Fun times.

Here's a video I took of the beginning of the storm....it wasn't too bad at this point:

The storm is mostly behind us but it is still very windy and raining off and on today. The waves are pretty big at the beach near our house (normally the swells are only about 2-3 feet high). Here's a video I took today:

In other news, Edge seems to have developed an obsessive taste for his tail over the past few days. It started before the storm, so I don't think that has anything to do with it. But check out what he has done to himself (warning: it's a bit graphic):
As a result, this is Edge with his latest accessory:

Poor guy can't even face the camera, he's so embarrassed. THE CONE OF SHAME!!! We do have an appointment for him this week, so we will see what the vet says.

I hope you all had a fabulous fourth!!


No comments:

Post a Comment