Saturday, April 18, 2015

Free At Last!

I am out of the house!! YAY!! So this past week has been a lot of ups and downs. Murphy's law ruled the week but the one major good thing is that I am currently residing in a lovely three bedroom condo in a high rise that does not have a crappy landlord or attack dogs...in fact there is a security guard at the entrance of the parking lot.

Here's what happened...last Monday I heard from the leasing agent working with the landlord (who has been in Taiwan this whole time) that she would not let me out of the lease because she didn't want to pay the security deposit back. The stereotype I was unaware of until now...apparently the Chinese are all about the money and my landlord is Chinese (former landlord). No sympathy about the fact that Bubbles was attacked because the fence the landlord had in the yard was inadequate. I did seek legal counsel about this and according to Guam laws a dog being attacked is not enough of a reason to break a lease. If I had been attacked then it would be different but dogs don't count. The only thing JAG could do for me was to write a strongly worded letter to the landlord but I don't know how effective that would have been since they couldn't legally do anything to the landlord.

Seeing as how the landlord had already dragged things out, I didn't want to wait to see if the letter would work or not. She wouldn't have received it until April 18th at the earliest (when she returned from her trip) and then I could definitely see her waiting to respond and making me stay in the house for the entire month. I wanted out of the house now! So I told the leasing agent that I would forfeit my deposit if she let me out of the lease and gave me back my pet deposit....and that is what happened.

Then I was on the hunt for a place to move so I could get out quickly!! In the meantime, I had gone up to the kennel to visit Edge and see how he was faring. Those of you who have met Edge know that he tends to be a bit hyper. Evidently Edge was not happy being cooped up (no shock there)....his harness has been hanging on the fence that forms one wall of his kennel and he chewed it up so that it is now unusable. Excellent.

Wednesday rolled around and I had found a place I liked and went to put a deposit down. The deposit is supposed to be $500 and I used a credit card. First, the girl helping me accidentally charged $300 instead. So I signed for that and then they ran the card again for the remaining $200. The card declined. We thought maybe it was because they had just run the card, so they were going to try again later. I left to run errands and didn't really think anything of it. About an hour later I got a phone call from the Condo office saying that they made a mistake and accidentally refunded my card $300! LOL

So we tried to fix the problem but my card wasn't working. I finally called the credit card company only to find out that there had been a fraudulent charge on my card and they had frozen the account! Inconvenient but I am glad the company is on top of things like that. So we got the deposit issue all straightened out.

Then I got a call from the kennel where Edge is staying....they discovered that he has a tapeworm! He didn't get it here on Guam, apparently when the dogs had fleas back in November/December, he must have swallowed one. The vet said the tapeworms take months to develop. Luckily the treatment is a one time pill but I had to get one for Bubbles too because she also had fleas at the same time. Fabulous.

After all that hoopla, the move into the new place was easy and quick!! Jessica, Emilee, and Nikki helped me out and we were done in about an hour. They were awesome! Bubbles is now back in the kennel...unfortunately she could not come with me to the new place. They have a 25 pound weight limit on dogs but at least I know she is safe now.

The new place has three bedrooms and two bathrooms. It's fully furnished, comes with a washer and dryer, and utilities are included along with internet and a land line phone. I am feeling like a normal person now and can finally sleep through the night without waking up because I am anxious/worried about getting out of the other place!  Here are some pictures of the new place:

Kitchen and living room

Kitchen

Awesome Jacuzzi tub!

View from my front door

The high rise

Pool and grounds

View from my balcony

View from my balcony 








2 comments:

  1. But won't you eventually have to find a place for your children? Or are they in boarding school, now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful... sad about Bubbles & Edge, but glad you are all safe xo

    ReplyDelete